You're going to Maine! It's one of the best states. Here's what to do:
- Allagash Brewery - They have free tours everyday, but try and book in advance!
- Hunt & Alpine Club
- Venas Fizz House
- Urban Farm Fermentory
- Rising Tide - This one seems cool.
Day trips from Portland
- Freeport - LL BEAN Flagship store
- Wiscasset - Red's Eats - One of the best Lobster Places in the state. Note: remember to order with Kate's Butter.
- Old Orchard Beach - Cute New England Beach town to take a morning stroll around and classic boardwalk. Water is rather cold, so bathing suits and swimming are not required.
- Kennebunkport - A few highlights:
- "You must stop at the Clam Shack for lunch and take it to eat near the water or pack it up for a picnic on the beach."
- Shop: Daytrip society: a very cool store full of stuff that you never thought that you needed.
Portsmouth, NH - (Who said we could only tackle one state on this trip?)
Acadia National Park
- Let's explore Acadia National Park (download app here). The app gives you great recommendations based on interests!
- Sand Beach is great both in the day time and at night. I'm convinced you will not see a better view of the stars in the continental USA. It's also pretty picturesque in the day.
- Sunrise on Cadillac Mountain! This is the first place in The United States that sees the sunrise each day! The app will tell you the time of the sunrise each day.
- Hike on a trail. I suggest this one Precipice trail, but use the app to find one at your comfort level.
- Thunder Hole is really cool...when the tide is high.
- Bar Island Land Bridge will bring you out to Bar Island when the tide is low. Go hiking and explore the island, but leave plenty of time to get back before the tide rises and you get stuck overnight.
- Bass Harbor Light is on the other side of the park, but beautiful to see. The other side of the park is fun to explore as well, but about a 30-45 minute drive.